By Julia M. Wright
- Covers an exceptional ancient diversity of Irish literature
- Arranged in volumes protecting Irish literature from the medieval interval to 1900, and its improvement throughout the 20th century to the current day
- Presents a re-visioning of twentieth-century Irish literature and a suite of the main updated scholarship within the box as a whole
- Includes a considerable variety of girls writers from the eighteenth century to the current day
- Includes essays on top modern authors, together with Brian Friel, Seamus Heaney, Eavan Boland, Roddy Doyle, and Emma Donoghue
- Introduces readers to the big variety of present methods to learning Irish literature
Read or Download A Companion to Irish Literature (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) PDF
Best literary criticism & theory books
"Are you bored with interpreting bestsellers that you just can’t be mindful every week later? Is your e-book workforce operating out of significant choices? Take a unique method of the various maximum tales ever instructed. a unique concept: a brand new examine a few outdated Books deals thirty-six vintage works of literature, provided with plot synopses, dialogue questions and new insights into what makes those books either undying and well timed.
Lengthy on the centre of the modernist venture, from modifying Eliot's The Waste Land to publishing Joyce, Pound has additionally been a provocateur and instigator of latest pursuits, whereas starting up a brand new poetics. this is often the 1st quantity to summarize and research the a number of contexts of Pound's paintings, underlining the significance of his contribution and drawing on new archival, textual and theoretical experiences.
A disproportionate variety of male writers, together with such figures as Amiri Baraka, Larry Neal, Maulana Karenga, and Haki Madhubuti, stay credited for developing the long-lasting and ideological foundations for what will be perpetuated because the Black artwork move. notwithstanding there has arisen an expanding volume of scholarship that acknowledges top ladies artists, activists, and leaders of this era, those new views haven't begun to acknowledge effectively the methods ladies aspired to excess of an insignificant dismantling of male-oriented beliefs.
R. okay. Narayan's popularity as one of many founding figures of Indian writing in English is re-examined during this complete learn of his fiction, which bargains exact readings of all his novels. Arguing opposed to perspectives that experience noticeable Narayan as a chronicler of "authentic" Indianness, John Thieme locates his fiction when it comes to its particular South Indian contexts and cultural geography and its non-Indian intertexts.
- Fiction Across Borders: Imagining the Lives of Others in Late-Twentieth-Century Novels
- Carlos Fuentes: A Critical View (Texas Pan American)
- The Cambridge Introduction to Walter Benjamin (Cambridge Introductions to Literature)
- Literature and The Contemporary: Fictions and Theories of the Present (Longman Studies In Twentieth Century Literature)
Extra resources for A Companion to Irish Literature (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture)
A Companion to Irish Literature (Blackwell Companions to Literature and Culture) by Julia M. Wright